Tuesday, October 6, 2009

storck saves the day

My time here is beginning to fly, yet I am already experiencing those days that seem to drag along. Today marks the two-month anniversary of my departure from the states! Tomorrow I will have been in Germany for two whole months.

Students usually pack their lunch or go out into Kandern to eat, but once every two weeks dorm students have a hot lunch. Hot lunch is prepared and brought to school by their dorm staff, and it's spread out so that different dorms have it on different days. Since I sub at Maugenhard on Thursdays, I'm invited to partake in hot lunch with the guys every other Tuesday. Today was supposed to be hot lunch, so I didn't pack myself a lunch this morning. Around lunch time I peeked out the window and didn't see the Maug table set up, so I went downstairs thinking maybe they had set up inside because of possible rain. I didn't see Timmy, Amanda, or the Youngs, but I did run into my friend Stephanie, who in an RA at Storckenblich (Storck was also scheduled to have hot lunch today). She informed me that Maug had cancelled hot lunch today! Bummed, I came to terms with the fact that I would not be eating lunch today. I could have gone to Hieber or one of the restaurants in town, but I didn't have money with me at school. And yes, technically I could have had time to go home first and then to get food, or I could have even eaten at home, because I don't teach a class after lunch. However, today I was supposed to sub 7th period and so I had planned on working really hard to get all my grading and recording done before 7th period so that I could leave right after school. I didn't want to take up extra time walking home and walking back to school.

So I said good bye to Stephanie, then went to the staff kitchen where I found a chunk of bread and an apple. That, plus the chocolate bar in my desk drawer from Joy Watson, would be enough to hold me over until my after school snack at home. As I was walking back upstairs to my office, I passed Calvin, the Residence Life supervisor. He commented on my meager meal and we parted ways.

About 15 minutes later, Stephanie came into the middle school office and handed me two plates: one with a sloppy joe and salad, and another with an apple turnover! Apparantly they ended up with some extra food after everyone ate, so Stephanie and the rest of the Storck staff decided to bless me with a lunch.

As I finished up my meal, I realized that the plates belonged to Storck and I would need to send them home with a student. So I took them downstairs to the kitchen where I could wash them. As I was coming down the stairs, who should I pass? Calvin.

"Is this what's left of the bread and apple?" he asked incredulously, pointing to my two plates, one holding the remnants of a salad. Realizing how strange it probably looked, I told him the story of how Storck saved my day.

So I ate a hearty lunch AND got all my grading done before 7th period. Thank you Storckenblich!!

No comments:

Post a Comment