Friday, November 20, 2009

BFA Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving! I know I'm a week early for those of you in the States, but here at BFA we celebrate Thanksgiving a week early, for many reasons. It's not a German holiday so we don't get any time off from school, and since many of the families here are American, they still celebrate with other families. In order to allow for all the families who sub in the dorms to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast with the dorm in which they sub, the dorms celebrate a week early. So last night I trotted up the hill to Maugenhard and enjoyed a wonderful candlelit dinner, complete with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole (my first time - would you believe it?), sweet potatoes (unfortunately nowhere near Great Grandma Bertschi's delish dish), stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cheesecake, and pumpkin cheesecake. Yes, it was quite the feast. After the meal was done, the boys stood and shared things for which they were thankful. It was really good for me to hear what the guys had to say, and I wish you could have been there to see how honest and meaningful this time was. They certainly know how to count their blessings.

MMM...Thanksgiving food!! I'm not sure why, but whenever I eat Thanksgiving (or Christmas) food, I always arrange my food in a circle on my plate. Maybe it's because there are so many options and I don't want all the food to run together. But it doesn't end there - I also EAT my food in a circle, starting in one spot and then working my way around by eating one food at a time. I blame my mom for this one.

There was quite a crowd at the Maugenhard Thanksgiving, and the boys even got dressed up for dinner! Typically when I eat with them on Thursdays, I observe the boys scarfing down their food and disappearing to their rooms before I'm done eating. Tonight, however, they slowed down to enjoy their food and engage in conversations with their friends. Something about eating by candlelight calms even the rowdiest boys.

It's not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie and whipped cream. I couldn't resist. I got some strange looks when I started spreading out the whipped cream so that it covered every single spot of pie. David and I used to do this all the time when we were kids. Well, I'm sure he still does when given the chance, and apparently I still do too!


Of course, such a huge meal also requires a good deal of clean up! Thank goodness for gratises (chores) and an industrial dishwasher. This is what the kitchen looked like post-feast. There were lots of leftovers, sure to feed the hungry men of Maug for at least another day or so! I say that because we always think our leftovers from Thanksgiving last forever, but you would be surprised at how much food is consumed here at the dorms. I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that the food is gone before Monday.

Tim (student), Timmy (RA), and Maggie oversee the return to normalcy at Maug following the feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment