I can't believe Christmas break is finally here! It seems like just last week we were welcoming students to the middle school and settling into routines, and then suddenly we were taking final exams and cleaning out lockers! Where does the time go??
There was lots of activity during the last few weeks of school. I kicked off my Christmas season at a Christmas tea with the ladies of Black Forest Christian Fellowship.
Later that week, the BFA choirs performed at Kandern's Christmas market. Because our town is small, our Christmas market is basically some food booths and flaming logs around which people roast their wursts-on-a-stick and sip their gluhwein.
 |
| Students performing at the Blumenplatz |
The next weekend I attended the middle school Christmas party where students revealed their Secret Santas, ate snacks, and watched Home Alone. The following week, we had the Chrysalis Christmas party which was planned by my group of seniors. They heard the story of the Magi and talked about selfless giving, had a white elephant gift exchange with their small groups, then played games like "make your Chrysalis leader into a snow sculpture."
 |
| Christmas worship |
 |
| the makings of a snow monster |
 |
| 7th grade boys working hard |
 |
| an army of abominable snow monsters |
 |
| one of the winning designs? |
On the last Sunday before finals week, BFA held its annual Christmas concert. All of my students participated in the concert, whether by singing in the choir or playing in the beginning band or orchestra. I am so proud of the work my students have put forth this semester. Some of them have juggled multiple extracurriculars (music, intramural sports, play practice, chapel band...) and managed to keep their grades high as well!
 |
| middle schoolers on clarinet and flute! |
 |
| middle schoolers on flute, french horn, and trombone |
 |
| 8th graders on violin and cello |
 |
| 8th graders on violin |
 |
| middle school choir |
 |
| don't my boys look sharp?? |
 |
| lovely ladies |
Now that I've graded all my final exams and finished posting grades for the quarter, I have some time to breathe and catch up on life. My first priority has been sleep, followed by shopping for Christmas presents and writing my Christmas cards. For the second year I will be spending Christmas here in Germany. I'll miss my family (thank you God for Skype!) but I won't be alone either; on the 23rd my good friends
Amanda and Carrie will be visiting from Vienna and will stay for several days! I'm so excited to see them and show them my "world" here in Kandern.
Merry Christmas! Check back soon for my second quarter newsletter!
No comments:
Post a Comment