Sunday, November 18, 2012

step into my classroom: gummy bear DNA

This week my seventh graders began the big genetics unit. Between now and the end of the quarter we will cover everything from DNA to cell division to heredity to genetic engineering... it's probably the life science unit that I enjoy the most!

We always begin the whole shebang in a sweet way, using gummies and toothpicks to make DNA models. In our simulation, the four colors of gummy bears represented the four bases Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, and Cytosine. The little licorice whips formed the sugar phosphate backbone of the double helix, and we held it all together with toothpicks! Next we use the models to walk through the process of DNA replication, in which the DNA strand copies itself. This is the first step in cell division.

Ok, I won't bore you with any more nerdy science talk. You and I both know you're just here for the pictures.






Word, yo. Science is hip.





A special thanks to my dear friend Megan, who gave up her prep period to take these pictures for me!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment