Thursday, April 3, 2014

for crying out loud

I'm really bad at asking for help. At some point I got it into my head that I needed to be strong and independent, but somewhere along the line I became a little too independent. It's interesting, then, that I have chosen a lifestyle that relies on my ability to ask for help and live on the generosity of those around me.

It's also interesting that the concept of "crying out for help" has come up several times in my Bible studies over the last few months. It started with a sermon at church about the story of Jesus walking out to the disciples on the water and Peter asking Jesus to call him out of the boat. While a lot of people give Peter flack for his doubt and subsequent sinking, my pastor made a good point that I'd never thought of before: The reason he was even able to sink was because he got out of the boat! Not only that, but he asked Jesus to call him out of the boat. For some reason that struck a chord with me as I compared myself to Peter. Now I've never walked on the Rhein River but once upon a time I asked God to send me into the world, and in faith I stepped out of my comfortable boat into an ocean of foreign languages and cultural adjustments and homesickness and a bunch of crazy teenagers that make my life worth living. And like Peter, when I take my eyes off of Jesus I begin to sink -- not into the ocean but into anxiety, selfishness, and insecurity. Many also speculate on why Jesus let Peter sink. Couldn't he have just let Peter walk on water? Sure, but if he had, would Peter have truly placed his confidence in Jesus? Or would he have taken the credit for this little "miracle"? I think that Peter needed to cry out to Jesus and remember where his strength was coming from. He also needed to see firsthand that Jesus would hear and answer his cries.

In the days following that sermon, I got the unsettling sense that God was getting ready to bring me to a place where I would have no choice but to call out to Him to deliver me.

A few weeks later during my Beth Moore study on the life of David, the idea of crying out to God came up again. One thing I've really enjoyed during this study is the ability to look at the actual events in 1-2 Samuel, then read what was going through David's mind in the psalms that he wrote. David cried out to the Lord multiple times to deliver him from the hand of his enemies, which He did. Beth Moore wrote, "God could rescue us with or without our cry for help." So why, then, must we call on Him before He rescues us? She raises a very interesting question. The more I've thought about it, the more I am convinced that before I can truly appreciate God's hand in my life, I have to first be willing to admit that I need it. As long as I can take care of things on my own then I don't need to ask for help. The very act of asking is admitting that I can't do it on my own. I have to lay down my pride and place myself in God's hand before He can truly help me. Furthermore, when I surrender control and place my life in God's hands I have no choice but to give Him the glory for what happens next.

Over the last several weeks God has given me plenty of opportunities to put this new idea into practice, most notably last week when I received an email from TeachBeyond informing me that due to the balance of my account, my monthly "salary" is being reduced -- by about 20%. Once again I find myself dangerously close to being sent home just a few months before the school year is over.

I'll tell you a secret: raising support is not fun, enjoyable, or easy. In fact, it's the most stressful part of my job. There's so much pressure when your entire life is on display, and it's tempting to turn it into a display of my own strength and abilities. It's hard sometimes to keep the right perspective. But it's the life I have chosen for myself and the only way that I am able to serve my Who. After five years of struggling through the highs and lows of this life, I've come to the conclusion that it's not supposed to be easy. If it were, then I could take credit for it myself and no doubt forget to praise the One who truly deserves the credit. Because of the struggle, I am forced to truly humble myself before Him before He can help me, otherwise I'll continue operating under the delusion that I am enough and that I can take care of myself.

So now that I've cried out to Jesus and accepted that I can't do this without Him, I cry out to you, my friends and supporters. The reality of my current situation is that my support account is about to go into the negative -- or already has, as my month-end statement will probably show up as this posts. I am checking my mailbox every day for my German tax bill, which I was told will be in the neighborhood of about 2,000 Euro. I am in desperate need of new monthly supporters in order to finish this school year and move on to Spain this fall. I am going to have to pay all my bills here in Germany for the month of July while I am in America. My five-year old computer has reached the end of its lifespan and I can't afford to buy a new one. There are a lot more stressors on my mind right now but these are the most pressing. It's hard not to despair. God has brought me to a place of complete and utter dependence on Him, and now I humbly seek His provision through you. Many of you are already giving generously and I can't ask you to do more. However, if you are reading this and are not currently partnering with me financially, would you consider praying about becoming a monthly supporter or one-time gifter?

I\d like to end this post by sharing with you two songs that have been on repeat over the last few weeks. The first one, Faithful, is a beautiful reminder of how I can trust God with my future because of what He's done with my past. The second, Lift My Life Up, is a response to God's faithfulness. When I acknowledge who God is my only response is complete and total surrender.





Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment