Sunday, June 15, 2008

a child-like faith

Today I went to a birthday party and spent some time with my extended family. A conversation with my ten-year-old cousin Camilah went something like this...

Cami: When are you going to Australia?
Me: You mean Austria?
Cami: Yeah!
Me: August first.
Cami: Oh. I was talking to Grandma about giving you money and I asked her what would happen if I gave you one dollar a month.
Me: Well, it would certainly add up. How many months are in a year?
Cami: Twelve.
Me: So if you gave one dollar for each month in the year, how many dollars would that be?
Cami: Twelve dollars.
Me: Well, twelve dollars is a lot of money for you to give up, but I would definitely appreciate if you wanted to share like that.

After that, she begged her mom to let her go to the car and get her money. She returned, beaming, and handed me a wad of dollar bills. "Here's five dollars," she said. "I'll give you the other seven before you leave." I thanked her, hugged her, and gave her her very own prayer card. Her reply: "I'll have to do a lot of yard work before you leave! Those weeds at Grandma's house are all the way down in the foundation of the house!!"

Her innocence and desire to give so sacrificially reminded me how much we lose faith as we grow older. As I've shared with some of my fellow future VCS teachers, it's hard to be so confident and say that I know without a doubt that God will provide for all my needs in the next six weeks. My brain tells me one thing, while my heart tells me another. Why shouldn't the God in whom I've place my trust, the God who created the universe in six days, be able to provide $2500 in six weeks? If I am in the will of God (and I believe that I am), there is no reason why not.

Lord, renew in me a child-like faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment