Sunday, August 30, 2009

the first week of school

Sorry it's been awhile since my last post. We still don't have internet at home, so personal business has temporarily been placed on the back burner because I have so much to do while I'm at school.

Speaking of school, I survived the first week! Monday was new student orientation, and then Tuesday was the first day of school. It started off with a huge celebration in the auditorium known as the Opening Ceremonies. I felt like part of the Olympics as I marched with my fellow teachers into the packed auditorium to the applause of parents and students and triumphal music. In front of us marched seniors from all around the globe, bearing flags from their home countries, and behind us came the residence life staff. It was a tremendous, overwhelming experience for me and yet another opportunity to thank God for his provision and timing.

I will be teaching four classes this year: 6th grade math, 7th grade science, and two sections of 8th grade science. There are 10 6th graders, 17 7th graders, and 28 8th graders...that makes for 55 new names for me to learn! I ended up making flashcards with the kids' pictures on them and my roommate quizzed me. I recognize all the faces but a few still take me a little longer to remember. It's been quite the adjustment, going from 3rd to 8th grade students!

I'd like to write more and post a video but I'm using a school computer and am unable to do so right now...hopefully I'll have a few free minutes this week to go into more detail.

Tomorrow begins a brand new week...

No comments:

Post a Comment