It's Tuesday afternoon and the second week of school is moving along at full steam. I teach all four periods before lunch, and then after lunch I have prep time. So I eat, and then of course I get sleepy. Add to that the skyrocketing temperatures on the fourth floor (I'm told they have to open the windows up here even in the dead of winter), and I'm ready for a nap! Suggestions for how to combat midday sleepiness and be productive in the afternoons are greatly appreciated. And don't tell me to exercise, because I'm not climbing these ten thousand flights of stairs any more than I have to!!
I'm finding that the daily schedule is rather tricky, as the middle school bell schedule does not match up with the high school bell schedule. Furthermore, the high school bells can be heard in the middle school, causing confusion among the middle school students when a bell rings in the middle of class, and even more confusion for me when I forget what time class lets out and wonder if I'm running behind. But just like the church bells by my house, I'm sure I'll tune them out eventually.
On Fridays, we actually DO follow the high school schedule because chapel meets on Fridays. Our periods are the same length, but the timing is different than the rest of the week.
Tomorrow is our first late start day, which we will be having twice each month. Late start days mean kids don't start classes until 9:55, but staff has to come in for 90 minutes of PD (professional development) together. On those days we have significantly shortened periods, and therefore yet another different bell schedule that still doesn't match the high school.
Between the first day of classes last Tuesday and tomorrow, I will have experiened all of these crazy schedules. Tuesday was just an absolutely insane day for scheduling, Wednesday, Thursday, Monday and today were normal, Friday was chapel schedule, and tomorrow is late start. What a week.
I suppose now I should get back to grading math papers and writing a science quiz - joy!!
I am sure it will get better. We love and miss you.
ReplyDeleteFound your website at Jillann Devries blog. I have a good friend Anne SCHAFFER who works at Black Forest too, or did last time I looked at her newsletter. Have a good time over there, and tell Anne hey "Bonjour!" for me if you see her :)
ReplyDeleteHeather Allen