Tuesday, April 23, 2013

don't blink

Lately I've been burdened by the brevity of life, and convicted by the ways I'm spending my time. As I watch the news scrolling through my internet browser, I read of death, despair, and evil permeating our planet. The truth is, that's the way it's going to be until Jesus returns. But in the meantime, what does that mean for me?

I want to live fearlessly.
I want to love unconditionally.
I want to pursue righteousness on a daily basis.
I want to say words that I've held back in fear of rejection, embarassment, or judgment.

As I think about the rapidly dwindling days left in our school year, I can't help but be reminded of this. Our days are numbered quite literally, and there is so much to accomplish, so many places to go, so many memories to make before we can say we've reached the end. The moment I allow myself to check out and begin counting down the days is the moment I stop thriving and start surviving. I can't blink or the time will be gone. I want to savor my remaining days with the eighth graders like a good cup of coffee, not charge through them like a bottle of water after a hard run.

Yesterday began with my discovery of a brand new Relient K song, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. It expresses so perfectly what I've been feeling that I shared it with my eighth graders this morning during our devotions, and now I'm sharing it with you. Let it be a reminder to live and love fully each day!



Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. [Psalm 39:4-5]



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment