
Form a hypothesis.

Experiment and collect data.

Analyze the data.

Form a conclusion.

Report your findings.



Just before spring break sixth graders participated in the first annual BFAMS Mini Science Fair. As a part of our scientific method unit, students had the opportunity to apply what they'd been learning by carrying out a "mini" science fair project. It's my dream to have a school wide science fair but for now I'll ease into it with the sixth grade.
Students were assigned a topic and I allowed them to work with a partner to lessen the stress. I would have preferred they choose their own topics so as to let their passions fuel their inquiry, but we were working on a strict schedule and there wasn't much time for dreaming and brainstorming. Everything had to be finished before spring break because of the quarter's end, so the whole project from start to finish lasted less than two weeks. I was very apprehensive about this project, but then again I've been apprehensive about everything I've done in this class from day one and things have always gone smoothly.
The biggest reward for me was watching my students develop their critical thinking skills. From phrasing their hypotheses to designing and carrying out (and troubleshooting!) their experiments to forming conclusions and asking follow up questions, you could tell their brains were in gear the entire time. The ability to think, reason, and ask good questions is one of the ultimate objectives of middle school science, and I think this project was a great way for them to begin taking those skills to the next level.
For them, the biggest reward was getting to stand up in front of their peers and share their work, explain to their teachers what they accomplished, and (for three "winners") the chance to be recognized in front of the entire middle school for their efforts.
This project is definitely a keeper!!

No comments:
Post a Comment