Friday, December 13, 2013

the big reveal

Ten years ago this past summer, I participated in my first short term missions trip to Costa Rica. At that time I already knew that I wanted to be a teacher, and I had been studying Spanish rather intensely. I was excited for the chance to finally speak with real, live Spanish speakers - something my classmates didn't get! During that trip, God laid on my heart a burden for the children of the nations. I later realized that God was directing me towards teaching overseas in an international school. At the time that I graduated high school, I expected that I would move to Central or South America after college to teach because of the place Costa Rica and the Spanish language held in my heart. I enjoyed Spanish so much that I wrote poems in Spanish with my friends, formed thoughts in Spanish, and constantly translated everything around me into Spanish. So it's no surprise, then, that when people first learned that I was going to Germany in the fall of 2009, there was much confusion.

"Rachel, you know they don't speak Spanish in Germany, right?"
"Your Spanish isn't going to help you in Germany!"
"WHY are you going to GERMANY?!"

I was confused, too. But I trusted that God knew what He was doing and that I would be wise to stick to His plan. I quickly discovered that everything I needed to say I could articulate in Spanish, which of course was totally useless! So, I started studying German and am now reasonably proficient at understanding most of what I hear/read (speaking...not so much!). Meanwhile over the last six years I have kept that desire to serve in a Spanish-speaking country. It's been tucked away in a neat little box in the attic of my mind, collecting dust but still there, taking up space. Every once in awhile I'd pull out the box, dust it off, and peek inside. Sure enough, that desire was still there.

Fast-forward to today. German social security regulations dictate that I must leave the country for 366 days every five years. This has only recently become an issue for BFA and has turned many of our lives upside down. Transitioning out of Germany and into America for just one year and then returning has created an array of new complications and interesting situations. To be completely honest, the thought made me sick. As much as I wanted to be near my family, I hated the idea of leaving BFA and my students. Then several of my colleagues and administrators suggested that I consider teaching at another international school for my year out. After much prayer and consideration, I submitted an application to one school and continued to pray.

This Saturday, I will be flying to Madrid, Spain to visit the Evangelical Christian Academy. ECA is a school very similar to BFA on a much smaller scale. I have submitted an application to teach in the middle school and will have the opportunity next week to visit classes, meet staff and students, and learn more about the school. I am thrilled about the possibility of continuing in service to the missions community while also getting the chance to use my Spanish once again. Nothing is official yet and I have not been offered a position, and I am still praying about whether I should accept a position should it be offered.

I am beyond excited to head out tomorrow morning and begin this new adventure of exploring possibilities for this next chapter. Please join me in praying for God to make His path clear to me during my time in Spain and that I would be able to have the necessary conversations and connections to determine if this is what I should pursue.




Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! I know that it will be painful to leave BFA, even for a year, but this could be a wonderful opportunity. I know you will trust in God to guide you. Will be in prayer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great opportunity for you. God will lead you as He has in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear where God's leading!! Hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete