After discussing Newton's laws of motion and their application to rocketry, students are tasked with the challenge of building a balloon rocket that will carry a single piece of paper across a given distance. It's a simple task but it also serves as an ice-breaker, giving the students a chance to get comfortable with each other at the beginning of the year. I always love seeing the ways the students think outside the box. We had some pretty successful models this year!
And then we had some that didn't quite make it...
Another fan favorite is when we study the phases of the Moon and students recreate each phase using delicious cream-filled Oreo cookies! Nothing motivates a student quite like the promise of a snack!!
Later this week we will begin our research projects on the planets of the solar system. I am particularly excited for this year's projects because I have tweaked the assignment to make it more relatable for my multicultural students. The premise of the new and improved project will be that each student takes on the role of an alien from another planet who has come to Earth through an interplanetary exchange program. They will then have to come up with a presentation to teach their new Earthling "host family" all about their home planet. I can't wait to see what they come up with!



No comments:
Post a Comment