Wednesday, May 5, 2010

maiwecken

This Sunday I had the chance to observe an interesting German tradition. As I lay in my bed, I slowly came to the realization that something fishy was going on. Off in the distance I heard what sounded like a marching band. Yes, a marching band. Once I identified the sound, I was suddenly aware of the fact that the marching band was advancing and the sound was getting louder. Instantly I jumped out of bed, peeked out the window, and spotted the front row of the Kandern city band marching down my street! I blindly groped around for my camera and managed to get a quick video of the parade before they passed me by. I later learned that this is a tradition known as "Waking up May," and it takes place on the first Sunday of May. To symbolize waking up the slumbering weather and animals and people and bring spring into full bloom, a band marches around the town (before 8:00 am!!) to wake everyone up. A few minutes later, they marched back but I only managed to catch the tail end as they paraded into the alley across from my house.



No comments:

Post a Comment