Friday, July 30, 2010

dallas

On Tuesday July 13th I flew from Chicago to Dallas to visit my best friend and college roommate, Carla. Since graduation Carla has moved to Dallas to study at the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics and pursue her Master's before going to serve with Wycliffe in Africa. In the meantime, she met and married the man of her dreams, Daniel. Unfortunately, I was not able to meet Daniel when they were dating, and their wedding took place last October after I'd left for Germany. So this was my chance to catch up with Carla as well as meet her new "roommate," Daniel.

Dallas was stifling hot and muggy, but Carla and I found ways to keep cool during our adventures. Our first day out involved a visit to the Amon Carter Art Museum, where we saw an incredible Ansel Adams photography exhibit as well as some other, er, interesting pieces of modern and abstract art. Inspired by the photography we'd seen, we decided to have our own photo shoot outside the museum.


I also enjoyed quality time with Daniel and Carla's dogs, Turbo and General Patton. Aren't they cute?

We spent one day at the Dallas World Aquarium where the science teacher in me geeked out at all the awesome plants and animals on display. We sat in a shark tunnel and watched as the giants glided overhead, and at one point I turned around just as a shark had come up right behind me! I jumped right out of my skin and provided a good laught for everyone standing near me in the tunnel!

Carla informed me that I had to do something "Texan" during my visit, so Daniel took us to the Fort Worth Rodeo on Friday evening. Yeehaw! I had so much fun, and I think half of it was just getting dressed up all cowgirl-like. I know, I'm kind of a fake but it was sooo much fun. We enjoyed watching bull riders, barrel racing, cattle roping, and even kids' events involving a sheep being chased by 50 kids trying to snatch the ribbon off his behind! I wish we'd had more time to explore the Fort Worth Stockyards area, because apparantly I was there 20 years ago with my parents, but all I remember is swimming in the pool at the Worthington Hotel.

I'm so glad I had the chance to visit Carla and meet Daniel. She has been one my best friends for years and is such an encouragement to me, not only as a friend but in supporting my work at BFA. Thanks for an awesome visit, Carla!



More photos from both the Chicago and Dallas trip can be found in my facebook album. You don't have to join facebook to see them, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment