Last weekend I and five other BFA teachers had the privilege of traveling about five hours away to Hannover, Germany for a conference of the Association of German International Schools. Hardly anyone knew about BFA so I had an instant conversation starter, though I did run into a few people who either knew students who left their school for BFA (sad for them, haha!), knew someone on staff, etc. I had the chance to talk to one woman who was completely blown away by the fact that BFA does not pay salaries and that each teacher raises his own support to serve here. It was a neat opportunity for me to explain the heart of BFA to someone who is also working internationally but in a different setting.
I also gathered a quiver full of great ideas and resources for teaching middle school. This week I've already started implementing a few little things here and there, and over the next several months I hope to incorporate a few bigger ideas into my teaching methods. The weekend was jam-packed and left me hardly any time to prepare my lessons for this past week, but I've survived and am ready for another week to begin. The conference wasn't very photogenic, though the science workshops were pretty exciting. Here are a few randoms from the weekend as well as an awesome video from the "Kitchen Science" workshop I attended.
 |
| The TV knows my name! Can you say, Big Brother? |
 |
| Making gasses in the Kitchen Science workshop |
 |
| Conducting an inquiry in a Science and Language workshop |
 |
| Waiting for our ride home |
 |
| Relaxing on the train after a full weekend |
Science is a blast. Check it out:
No comments:
Post a Comment