Monday, May 19, 2014

Transition made bearable with Doctor Who GIFs

This weekend I finally purchased my plane ticket to America. After much hemming and hawing I knew I couldn't put it off any longer, and so while Skyping with my parents at 2:00 am on Friday night I scoured the interwebs for the best deal and was victorious. I haven't been home in two years which means I am pretty excited to see everyone again, but I am not excited about leaving this place I've called home for the last five years. It is a relief to have one more thing checked off on my end-of-the-year to-do list, but the fact that it is done suddenly makes leaving very real and very, very sad.



Exactly five weeks from today I will be on a plane zooming towards Cleveland.

FIVE. WEEKS.

I am torn between two emotions:






When people ask me if I'm ready to go, I don't know what to say.





So maybe you can imagine why it was so difficult for me to commit to a plane ticket.





Perhaps subconsciously I had ripped out the last "page" of my story by putting off buying my plane ticket, and by not having a set departure date then it wouldn't seem like I was actually leaving. Those close to me know that I, like the Doctor, hate endings. I don't really need to leave, do I?



But there's hope. I know that my story is being penned by the Author of Life and that while this may be the last page of a chapter, the story doesn't end here. I trust that, while I will only be in Madrid for one year, I will come to love the students and staff at ECA just as dearly as the ones I cherish here at BFA.

So here I am, five weeks from departure and still so very much to do. There is no more avoiding the last page, no more living in denial, and no more pretending that this is not actually happening. It's time to jump in with both feet and get to work. In the words of my favorite Doctor, "Let's go!"






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment