Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have a Dream Too!

In preparation for Martin Luther King Day, last week I read MLK Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech to my students and had them write their own mini-speeches using an outline I found online. I thought today would be a good day to share a few. Please note that I am in no way trying to make Mr. King's speech into a laughing matter. I tried to get them to write serious poems about their goals, ambitions, and dreams for the future and this is I got back:
  • I have a dream that one day this nation will have no bad people. I have a dream that one day I will die and go to heaven with my friends. I have a dream that one day I will get an A+ on all of my tests. I have a dream that Alina, Laurie, Rachel, Ryan, and Craig will all be friends. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day I will learn to drive. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day I hope my dog goes to heaven. This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to be a great cheerleader. This will be the day when I get better in school!!
  • I have a dream that one day this nation will take care of animals. I have a dream that one day [they will] feed their animals. I have a dream that one day you would love them as you love your friends. I have a dream that if you can't take care of them, give it to someone who can. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day people will take animals in. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day there would be no pound. This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to save animals in our life. This will be the day when animals are saved.
  • I have a dream that one day this nation will be free from the war. I have a dream that one day we won't have to kill whales. I have a dream that one day we won't have to pay for school. I have a dream that kids under 18 will be able to vote. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day we won't have to deal with the war. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day whales won't be our enemies. This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to have kids go to school. This will be the day when kids under 18 will be able to vote.
  • I have a dream that one day this nation will let me go to Wyoming. I have a dream that one day I will ride a bull. I have a dream that one day I will go to a rodeo (spelled roddeowe). I have a dream that I will get first place. I have a dream today. I have a dream that I can go to Antarctica. I have a dream today. I have a dream that I will snowboard. This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to have fun. This will be the day when I play 8 Below.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

No comments:

Post a Comment