Saturday, April 2, 2011

step into my classroom: mathletics

This week my 6th graders have been studying the metric system. I wish America would get on the ball and start using metrics because conversions are so much easier! All you have to do is move the decimal place! OK, rant over. So in learning about the metric system the students went on a scavenger hunt measuring the length of random items in the classroom and converted millimeters to centimeters to meters and vice versa. They also used water and measuring cups to determine the capacity in liters and millilters of various containers, and used small scales to find the mass of objects in grams, milligrams, and kilograms.






To wrap up the week, instead of having a quiz the students participated in the Metric Olympics. When I found out they'd already studied the Olympics in history, I informed them that they could wear costumes on the day of the "ceremonies." A few students started laughing as one student raised his hand and said, "Actually, if we want to be authentic-" and that's where I interrupted, "That's NOT what I mean... let's keep this rated G, ok?"

During the Olympics students completed tasks and then had to estimate either the distance, mass, or capacity of what they'd just done. After recording the estimate, they had to measure and find out the actual amount. Their score was the difference between the estimate and actual, meaning the goal was to have a low score.

Paper Plate Discus
Straw Javelin
Packing Peanut Shotput
Marble Grab - estiamte the mass
measuring the Marble Grab
Sponge Squeeze - estimate the capacity
Miss Bertschi, could you put away the camera and help us??
Estimating is a serious business

Big Foot - Estimate the area of your foot
Despite appearances, this is not a game of Twister!
After all the events were finished, the mathletes had to add up their scores (the differences between estimate and actual measurements) and average their totals for a team score. They also determined the best guesser for each individual event. Once they recorded their information on big charts, I awarded prizes to the winning teams and individuals.


No comments:

Post a Comment