Thursday, April 28, 2011

the great gastropod getaway

Yesterday was our first day back from Spring Break. Our collection of tadpoles didn't survive, so yesterday the students said their last goodbyes to the little guys. At the same time, another student brought in an egg carton and revealed its contents to me. He begged me to keep them in the classroom, and I cringed.


Snails. Why'd it have to be snails?

I guess this is what I get for teaching my students to be in awe of their Creator. [I shouldn't complain, but snails just disgust me so much! I'm sure they are useful little creatures but they aren't very easy on the eyes.]

Once again, our high school biology teacher came to my rescue and loaned me a small terrarium. Outside, I mustered the help of a student to scoop some dirt, grass, and leaves into the terrarium. I added some water and voila, instant habitat.

I placed the terrarium in my classroom, locked up, and went home. Easy enough, right?

This morning, the very thing I dreaded had come true.

Where are they?!
Yes, I panicked a little. The thought of slimy snails hiding out somewhere in my classroom was not a pleasant one. Dashing back into the staff room I blurted out, "The snails are missing!" which was greeted with uncontrollable laughter from my boss and coworkers. Excellent.

With the help of Susan and a student, we managed to locate the fugitives. One had crawled across the counter and down into a space between the cupboards where I keep the trash can.

busted!!

The other went the opposite direction and decided to have a snack along the way...

"My snail ate my homework."
"The Detective Dilemma" - how appropriate.

Once the snails were located, we returned them to the terrarium. Five minutes later, they were both perched at the top of the terrarium ready to make another getaway! Snails can be very persistent creatures.

First period began and by that point their persistence had me rather perturbed and my students entertained. Finally I had an idea, and quickly located a small piece of cardboard from my science cupboard. With a pencil I stabbed a bunch of holes, then positioned the cardboard on top of the terrarium, securing it with rocks from my rock collection. Within minutes, they had found their new favorite location - upside down on the "roof."





Hopefully they'll stay put for awhile now. We plan to release them in a few days but for now the students will hover around the "better than a TV" terrarium in awe of two slimy snails.

1 comment: