Oh, and then I stalled my van in front of all the parents while backing out of my parking space. Clutch-1, Rachel-0.
Once we got onto the Autobahn I was able to relax a bit and didn't feel so stressed about driving. This trip was my very first time driving for a school event, and even though I've been driving for ten years now, I still felt very nervous about the responsibility of driving an eight-passenger van full of other people's children!! The girls in my van were incredibly sweet and encouraging throughout the whole trip, even when I started getting frustrated with the stop-and-go traffic in downtown Lugano.
The drive was beautful. Lots of mountains to look at, though since I was driving I couldn't take any pictures. Thankfully I had Joyce in the front seat willing to snap away! We drove through Europe's longest tunnel, the Gotthard. At 17 kilometers long, it takes roughly 15 minutes to get through. This incredibly boring drive makes you zone out and want to fall asleep. Armed with a perky playlist and seven singing girls, I forced myself to stay focused and alert throughout the duration of the tunnel.
| follow that van! |
| inside the Gotthard |
| rest stop |
We stopped at Bellinzona for lunch and a combined history/art lesson. In world history the students have been studing the middle ages, so here they were able to locate and sketch offensive and defensive structures on two of the three Bellinzona castles.
After a few hours of exploring, we headed to our final destination, the Centro Evangelico. Students settled into their rooms, explored, ate dinner, and then participated in Minute to Win It games!
| tennis ball bowling |
| target practice |
| rubber band shooters |
No comments:
Post a Comment