Tuesday, February 21, 2012

a coffee cupdate


If we were to sit down for a cup of coffee, I would have a lot to tell you.

I'd probably start by bemoaning the fact that we don't have enough three-day weekends, and wish that BFA would look into implementing a four-day school week. We can dream, right?

I'd probably tell you that I am 100% in love with my 8th grade class. I'd explain that this is the first class I've had for all three years of middle school, and I'm already getting teary-eyed thinking about saying goodbye to them. I'd tell you how excited I am to take them to Lugano in a few months, and how proud I am of the progress some of them have made since 6th grade. I'd laugh as I explain that right now, they're doing this thing when class begins and when I greet them with, "Good morning, everyone!" they respond sing-songy unison, "Good morning Miss Bertschi!"

I'd probably tell you that I'm struggling with my 7th grade class. I'd explain how many of them have become complacent and lazy - in their studies, in their homework, and in their classroom behavior. I'd tell you how everyday no less than ten students ask me what time class starts, when they are all standing inches away from the schedule that has been hanging on the wall since the first day of school. I'd shake my head in disbelief as I explain how just today this exact scenario unfolded and when I replied with, "Class starts at the same time it has always started. Look at the schedule," the questioning student retorted, "I'm too lazy to look at the stupid schedule!" ... And then I'd tell you how I'm embarassed with the way I snapped back, "And that's exactly why I'm not answering your question!"

At this point in our conversation I would probably heave a huge sigh and admit how much I dread going to 5th period these days. I would tell you how many different learning styles and needs are present in my 6th grade math class and how much of a challenge they have been to teach. I would admit to you that there have been brief glimpses of hope here and there, but that most days I leave that class feeling defeated and discouraged. I would wonder out loud if I have unleashed a beast by rewarding good quiz grades, because now they won't do anything with real effort unless a reward is promised. I would tell you how today I literally wanted to throw a bucket of water on them because I was doing everything I could think of to get a response from them, and they just stared at me...or stared out the window.

I would then probably perk up as I tell you how much I'm enjoying teaching my media communications class the second time around. I would explain how we refined the course description to weed out the kids looking for a "goof-off" class, and that only five kids signed up. I'd smile as I recounted how at first I freaked out because three of the five were sixth graders who hardly knew how to save a Word document, but how they have turned out to be quick learners and are three of the most responsible sixth graders. I'd brag about how my students have done the majority of their assignments outside of class, and that they have never missed a deadline, and then shake my head in awe as I told you how, in the same amount of time (one quarter), we will have accomplished twice as much work with half the number of students.

I would most likely mention how much I want to stab my eyes out when I think about going to German class. I'd whine about how confusing German grammar is, and wonder why I'm even bothering to learn this language. Then I'd remember how stupid I feel everytime someone outside of the BFA Bubble speaks to me, and realize that I need to learn the language.

At this point in the conversation, I would realize that I have been blabbing the whole time and be embarassed that I haven't yet asked how you are doing. So I'd ask you, how are you doing? What's new in your life? What have been your highs and lows this week? What's been on your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment