Have you ever logged onto Facebook and discovered that 95% of your news feed contains nearly identical updates from your friends? Living in Germany, this often happens to me when the US Midwest experiences odd weather patterns or a particular sporting event or television show is on. I can't tell you how many "down with (insert controversial political figure)!", "OMG did you see The Bachelor tonight?", "I-can't-believe-this-awesome/insane-weather-we're-having!" statuses I've had to scroll through to get to something that I actually care about! If there were a filter that blocked out statuses with certain keywords, I could just eliminate all that mindless noise and focus on legitimate updates on my friends' lives. Living an ocean away makes Facebook a bit more valuable as a "social networking" site, and if it weren't for the fact that I live in Germany, I probably wouldn't spend nearly as much time on it!
So tonight, after skipping over countless Super Bowl afterparty statuses ("OMG I ate so much at the party", "yay my team won", "boo my team lost...") I finally got to the good stuff. Three different posts caught my eye and I wanted to share them here because they encouraged me, and might be an encouragement for you today, too.
From an old college friend who has often spoken truth into my life:
I guess Facebook has some redeeming qualities after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment