Tuesday, September 25, 2012

coffee cupdate



If we were to sit down for a cup of coffee I'd have a lot to tell you.

First, I would take a deep breath. With my exhale, my shoulders would relax and the stress of recent weeks would drift into the steam coming from my coffee cup. I'd tell you that I am in awe that I have barely been back in Germany for a month, because the non-stop activity has made it feel like six months have already passed. I probably wouldn't bore you with all the details, but I would share with you how I have been feeling convicted about how I use my time and have had to say no to a lot of really great things recently to focus on the more important things. I would admit that I'm not getting enough sleep, but that my grandiose plans for getting work done on time never seem to unfold the way I expect.

I'd tell you that once again, I am LOVING getting to know my new students and continuing to get to know returning students. I'd share with you how much I enjoy seeing growth in the returning students, not just physically but spiritually and emotionally, too. I might tell you about one student in particular who always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder in my class last year, and that already he and I have had some really great interactions both in and out of the classroom these past few weeks!

I'd probably share with you that the idea of teaching redemptively has been on my mind constantly this year. I'd express my frustration with certain students and wonder aloud how to best meet their needs and show grace, but at the same time hold them accountable to their choices and train them to become responsible God-honorinng students. I might share an encouraging conversation I just had with a student who desires to retake a test, in which he explained that the reason he wanted to do better was because he feels he is supposed to honor God with his grades!

What would you tell me?




Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment