In attempting to clean out my phone, I found a bunch of pictures of math projects. This made me realize that I never wrote a quarter one update on my Pre-Algebra classes! Better late than never, right?
Our Pre-Algebra course spans two years - seventh graders take Pre-Algebra A and eighth graders take Pre-Algebra B (unless they test out and move up to Algebra 1). This means I am teaching out of the same textbook for two different classes, but seventh graders are starting at the beginning and eighth graders are starting halfway through.
Seventh graders began with the basics: rules of integers, one-step equations, and basic graphing. Within the last week have begun to learn how to work with multi-step equations and will soon move on to multi-step inequalities, too! For their Chapter 1 project, students had to graph a given set of coordinates that, if graphed accurately, formed the outline for a shield. Students then had to design a coat of arms to represent themselves.
I really enjoyed seeing what symbols and colors they chose to represent themselves. Many identified with various countries and cultures by using flags, national colors, and symbols. Some revealed more about their families, their heritage, and some even gave a nod to their hobbies and passions by incorporating their favorite fútbol team colors.
I asked the students to explain to the class their choice of symbols, and the most touching came from Alex, who told us that he chose gold to represent the cross because of how special Jesus is to him. In case you can't read his shield, it says "Live for Jesus."
The eighth graders spent the first quarter reviewing and learning linear equations: solving, graphing, and writing them. I found an awesome project on TeachersPayTeachers that incorporated all of these skills plus art, and it was a great chance for the students to relax a bit after a hard chapter. For this project, students had to select a country flag with at least two lines and at least one diagonal. Then they drew the flag design on a coordinate plane and used two points on the line to identify the line's slope. From there they were able to calculate an equation for each line on the graph. Some students chose flags that they knew would be very easy, while others went for a challenge. While I am proud of ALL their work, I was particularly impressed with the students who chose Canada and Australia. The more lines a flag contained, the more math a student had to do!
By now we are almost halfway through the second quarter. Things are getting harder, and in response to that some students are thriving and others are sinking. My eighth grade class has been on my mind constantly. Please be in prayer - that my struggling students would find success in my class, and that I would have the patience and grace to know how best to teach them.

No comments:
Post a Comment