Sunday, November 16, 2014

visa visit

Last weekend I had the huge privilege of visiting Germany. While I had a lot of fun during my visit, it was primarily a business trip because I had to go to submit my visa application at the Spanish consulate. You may remember the visa saga that has been going on since February - I have jumped through many a hoop in order to get to where I am now, but as of last Thursday my application was successfully submitted and now all I do is wait!

I arrived in Germany on Saturday afternoon, giving me enough time to take a cat nap and get to the high school for the 5:00 showing of High School Musical. As usual, I was blown away by the talent of the BFA students and staff. Attending these performances is so much more meaningful for me now than it was five years ago, when I didn't know a single student on the stage. While waiting for the show to start, I counted THIRTY students on the cast list that I had taught in middle school - and that didn't even include the pit orchestra! All that to say, it was a very special night and I am thankful that I was able to combine this and my visa appointment in the same trip.

Many students knew I was coming and therefore attacked me in a mob-like fashion as soon as the house lights were up, while others I had the joy of sneaking up on and scaring half to death. A few didn't even register that I was visiting - because I have been at BFA for five years it is just "normal" for them to see me there. My hug quota for the month was met in just half an hour!




This brother and sister duo both had major roles! Zeke and Mrs. Darbus!


After the musical several friends gathered for pizza, snacks, laughter, and a movie. I enjoyed catching up with old friends and laughing together, and I introduced them to Spanish mantecados, which are flavored lard cakes. They sound much more disgusting than they are - I personally find them quite tasty. The trick to eating them, though, is that they need to be squeezed and squashed because they are rather crumbly and fall apart easily. When you squeeze a little patty in your hand, it naturally takes on an interesting shape, which we were very entertained by. OK, I was entertained by it, my friends just rolled their eyes. Hey, I teach middle school, I'm allowed to have potty humor!


On Sunday before church I caught up over coffee and croissants with my friend Allison, who directed the play. Then I went to BFCF and saw many more old friends who wanted to hear all about my new life in Spain and at ECA. I was so thrilled to get to hear David Harrop give the message - he spoke from 2 Corinthians 4 on the theme "Do Not Lose Heart." It was a very encouraging and challenging message that came for me at just the right time!


Sunday was also "dorm thanksgiving" at BFA. Because the activities calendar is so full in November, the dorms celebrate rather early. I was invited by my friends the Duhans, who are the current dorm parents at Maugenhard. You may remember that I used to sub at Maugenhard on a regular basis, so it was like coming home for me. The majority of the boys I knew are graduated now, but it was still nice to be in a familiar place and enjoy a warm meal with friends.





Then Monday morning arrived - the main reason for my visit. What was supposed to be a quick trip to Frankfurt and back turned into an eleven hour ordeal as my friend Sammie and I got caught in horrible stand-still traffic going and coming, and because we arrived late (due to the traffic) spent about twice as much time at the consulate as we'd planned. Regardless, I was able to successfully submit my application for my Spanish visa. The lady who helped me said it would be ready in two weeks (?!) which I really hope turns out to be true! 


Happy faces upon leaving the consulate!
We made it back to Kandern just in time for me to head to dinner with my old small group girls, who are now seniors and meeting with a new leader, my dear friend Suzanne. We enjoyed Mulligatawny soup and MadLibs, sang and prayed together, and then I got a chance to share a little of what God has been teaching me this year in Spain. It really did my heart good to be with my girls again.

Oh, these faces!
Perhaps one of the highlights of visiting when I did was getting to see Germany in full-blown fall foliage. My area here in Spain doesn't have a ton of color during the summer because everything turns brown from dehydration, and I haven't observed many fall colors here in the desert. Had I still been living in Germany these colors might not have seemed so vibrant to me, but because I have been away, they stopped me in my tracks and took my breath away.


I flew back to Spain on Tuesday and spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping off the busy weekend. Thankfully I had been very productive the day before I left Spain, so I didn't need to do any extra lesson prep or work before returning to school Wednesday morning. There were shouts of joy and hugs from my students, lots of questions about Germany, and of course, demands for chocolate. These kids sure know how to work their teacher!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment