Thursday, July 21, 2011

potential: why i do what i do

Everyday I face questions from curious, well-meaning people who are interested in my work in Germany.

How long are you going to be over there?
Why can't you just work in a German school and get paid?
When will you come back to America and get a real job?
Why do you have to teach in Germany? There are schools in America, you know.
You work for free?! Are you insane?

In other words: Why do I do what I do?


My answer? Potential. The students I work with have potential. Not just "I can graduate high school and get a job and make money and buy things" potential. More like, "I can change the world" potential.

But, they say, American kids have potential too! American kids can change the world too!
True dat. They do, and they can. However, I believe my students find themselves in a unique position that allows their potential to take them farther than today's typical American teenager, the reason being that my students are Third Culture Kids. In the book Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, Dave Pollock writes,
A Third Culture Kid (TCK) is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents’ culture. The TCK frequently builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture may be assimilated into the TCK’s life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of similar background.
The only thing that TCKs have in common is that they have nothing in common. Their “giants” are a bit more complex than your typical adolescent angst, but they also have opportunities that other children their age will never have. Some of my students, at 11, 12, and 13 years of age, have lived in more countries than I have visited in my 25 years of life. Their bi- and tri- lingual tongues, paired with their global awareness and openness to multiculturalism place them at a unique advantage and have prepared them to change the world. When I think of the possibilities in my students’ future, it makes me so humbled to know that I have been privileged to walk with them through those awkward middle school years and hopefully teach them something worth remembering.

But that's not all. BFA adds a twist to the plot in its vision statement: Globally minded Christians impacting their world for Christ. As a teacher at BFA, I have the opportunity to influence globally-minded young Christians (and future Christians) in a positive way, to demonstrate Christ's love with my life, and to equip them with the tools they will need to not just impact the world, but to impact the world for Christ.

Why do I feel so strongly that my students will influence the world? Well, consider the following.
  • Joseph, of the coat of many colors, was torn from his family and eventually found himself growing up in Egypt by way of slave trade. He went on to serve the Pharoah and even save the nation from death by famine because the Pharoah trusted him with the task of interpreting his dreams
  • Esther, a Jew growing up in Persia, "happened" to win a beauty contest that led to her finding favor with the king and opened the door for her to save the Jewish nation from Haman's evil plan for annihilation.
  • Katherine Patterson was raised in China by American missionaries, moved 13 times in 13 years, and went on to write Newberry Award-winning books like Bridge to Terabithia.
  • Barack Obama was born to an American mother and Kenyan father, spent part of his childhood in Indonesia, and went on to become the first African-American president of the United States.
These are just a handful of highly influential people who also happen to be TCKs. Authors, actors, sports figures, and political leaders are all placed in the spotlight and given authority, even if they don't necessarily deserve it. What kind of world would we live in if all of these influential people set out not simply to impact the world for their betterment, but for Christ? Well, support the ministry of Black Forest Academy and you just might find out. My students will grow up to be doctors, teachers, pastors, authors, political leaders, world-famous athletes, scientists, engineers... the list goes on and on.

Consider making an investment today that has exponential potential. Support the ministry of Black Forest Academy by making a monthly or annual donation that will enable me to participate in a third year of planting seeds in tomorrow's leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment