Wednesday, June 27, 2012

according to what one has

source
About a month or so ago, I was Skyping with a friend and sharing the burdens that were on my heart. I was overwhelmed by the responsibilities that the end of the year brought, including packing up my apartment and moving before I could fly back to America. I was stressed by my empty support account and at a total loss as to where the money would come from or whether I would be able to pay the next month's rent. I was basically throwing myself a pity party and worrying rather than taking my requests to the Lord.

Towards the end of the conversation this friend encouraged me so matter-of-factly that I felt like I had been hit in the gut. He said, "It's really easy to focus on all the things you don't have, but right now you need to remember all the things you do have."
Uh, yeah.
I was on the verge of completing my THIRD year of teaching at Black Forest Academy, made possible by THREE years of faithful support by friends and family. I had the privilege of calling Germany my home for THREE beautiful, adventurous, priceless years during which I had countless opportunities to speak truth into the lives of my precious students.

And yet there I was, stressing about paying rent.

Today I came across 2 Corinthians 8:12, which says, "For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have."

There are a few things that jump out to me when I read this verse. First, the fact that God desires a willing heart. Not a grudging, obligated, resentful, or guilty heart. Just a willing heart.

Second, that the gift is in proportion to what one DOES have, not to what one does NOT have.

I am willing to serve God no matter where He places me. Three years ago I was willing to move halfway around the world to teach even though it meant I would not have my friends and family close by. I would not have the luxury of speaking English to my neighbors and I would not have the convenience of a Wal-Mart down the street. I was willing to teach classes that I had absolutely NO training whatsoever to teach. But I DID have a willing heart and a degree in education, and God has used that obedient offering to make Himself known to me and to my students.

I don't know what my future holds, but I do know that as long as I am willing to give everything to God, He will take care of the details.

So what about you? Are you willing? Are you willing to commit to support the ministry of Black Forest Academy but worried about what you don't have? Be encouraged today by the words of 2 Corinthians 8:12, and ask God to show you what you do have.

If you are willing to partner with me financially to support the ministry of Black Forest Academy, I am looking for both monthly and one-time financial gifts. Please visit the TeachBeyond website for more information and email me {bertschirae(at)gmail(dot)com} with any questions you still have.

No comments:

Post a Comment