Tuesday, June 19, 2012

coffee cupdates: in which we talk about money


If we were to sit down for a cup of coffee I'd have a lot to tell you.

Before we started chatting you might compliment my necklace. I'd grin, thank you, and confess that I made it myself. I'd tell you that if one were interested, one could find not only this necklace but plenty of other brand new designs in my Etsy shop. I might humbly encourage you to consider getting yourself a new necklace or pair of earrings and explain that not only would this be a fun and tangible way to support my ministry at BFA, but that whenever you wore it you would be reminded to pray for me and my students.



That might lead you to ask how my support situation is looking, and I would reply by sharing that my biggest stressor right now is getting my TeachBeyond account out of the "red." I'd explain that I had been granted a small "loan" from TeachBeyond in order to receive my June payroll, but that I had been advised that until my support account was replenished I would be limited to receiving only what was actually in my account. You might wonder why I even need support during the summer time when school is not in session, so I would explain that the expenses that enable me to serve at BFA are year-round obligations - things like rent, utilities, gas, and groceries are needed in the summertime just as much as the fall, winter, and spring. You might ask me why I need to pay for gas and groceries while in America, to which I would reply that in order to travel while on Home Assignment, meet with supporters, sit down for this very cup of coffee, and raise the funds necessary to return to Germany ... well, these all unfortunately require money.

You might ask about my plans and needs for next year. I would share with you that after five years of being in the country, non-Germans are required to leave for one year, so my current plans are to serve for two more years at BFA and then return to America for a year. I'd tell you that I am looking for both one-time gifts and regular monthly support. You'd ask what types of things would be covered by one-time gifts, and I would explain my need to continue in my German language studies, as well as my obligation to pay German taxes during my time in the country. Of course, you would already know that monthly support would cover expenses such as rent, groceries, and insurance.

I would share with you my specific goal to raise $1,000 in new monthly supporters within the next six weeks. You might be in shock at that high number, and tell me that even though you want to help me out, you simply don't have the resources to do so. You might be willing to step out in faith despite your situation, trusting that God will provide for you because of your obedience to Him. We might look at the receipts for our coffees and see that we each paid about $5 for our beverage of choice, and I would suggest that for the price of one coffee a week, or even one coffee a month, you could make a worthwhile contribution and enable me to continue serving the students of Black Forest Academy for another two years. We might start brainstorming a list of other things that cost $5 - other small things that one could be persuaded to sacrifice in order to support a missionary: a pack of cigarettes, an iPhone app, a footlong sub from Subway, a case of soda, a value meal at a fast food restaurant ...

As we wrap up our conversation I would ask you to pray in earnest and seek the Lord as you consider making a two-year committment to support me on a monthly basis. You might ask for more information about giving and what your options are, so I would hand you my prayer card, which would have the address for TeachBeyond's website. I would explain that you can find answers to all your questions there, and I would encourage you to call or email me if you still had questions after checking out the website.

What would you have to say to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment