Friday, June 15, 2012

a call to action

This summer marks the fifth summer in a row that I will have spent raising support. I knew when I accepted the call to teach fulltime at a school for missionary kids that I was also accepting a new lifestyle. Among other things, this new lifestyle requires me to firmly place my trust in God and others rather than my own strength. You see, support raising is not something you can simply do once and be done with. It requires constant attention, and can also be a ministry to those who have made the choice to support me. More importantly it requires a shift in my attitude towards money - that it is not mine, and that it never was, no matter how I might have obtained it.

Friends, it's a tough job. And as I'm sharing this with you, I know many of you are already thinking, "Are you insane? Give it up. Grow up. Make your own paycheck and take care of yourself like a responsible adult."

I'm not going to lie. Sometimes that sounds like a really nice option. Go find a "real job" at a school that actually pays me for my time. Buy myself a car with my own money. Pay my own rent. Take care of myself. Oh, and let's not forget - live on the same continent as my family.

The problem with all that is I know God has called me to something different. Notice I didn't say "better," and I won't, because there are lots of people God has called to that lifestyle and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It's just not for me.

At least, not right now.

So as I begin my fifth summer of support raising, I want to call you, my readers, friends, family, and prayer warriors, to action.

One of the biggest obstacles facing missionaries these days is "the economy." Many say they can't support a missionary because they don't have enough money. This is a valid argument. Believe me, I know the economy is tight. Even though I live outside America and I don't have a "real job," it affects me, too. These are tough times for everyone but I believe that now more than ever we are called to be obedient. I mean, it's one thing to trust God during the good times, it's a whole other issue to trust Him during the desert times. Hebrews 11:1 says, Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. If I claim to have faith in God, this verse tells me I can't just be confident in what I can see, but that I must also be confident in what I can't see - God and His timely provision.

So I want to take a minute to dispel the myth that one must have loads of money saved up in a secret Swiss bank account in order to suppot a missionary. Because really, all it takes is a small sacrifice - one given in love for, faith in, and obedience to the Lord, not out of obligation or guilt. You remember what Jesus did with the widow's mite, right?? If you don't, go read Mark 12:41-44.

All it takes is $5 a month.

I know, that seems really small and insignificant. But if you and 99 others did this, it would add up to $500 a month. If you and all 635 of my Facebook "friends" did this, it would amount to over $3,000 a month. So, for the price of a lukewarm coffee at Starbucks or a foot-long sub from Subway, you could support a missionary on a monthly basis.

So what do you say? Does this sound like something you could do? Are you interested in hearing more about how you can get involved? Visit the TeachBeyond website to donate (remember to include my name) or send me an email requesting more information.



No comments:

Post a Comment