Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 goes out with a bang

Tonight I rang in the new year German-style. There was no Dick Clark, Ryan Seacrest, Times Square or ball dropping. Instead, there were fireworks. Lots and lots of fireworks. It was sort of like how Americans celebrate the 4th of July, except that everyone, and I do mean everyone, was shooting them off from their backyards and balconies. Apparantly there are no rules about who can shoot them off or where you have to shoot them from. I'm told there is usually quite a crowd at the Blumenplatz (the center of town), and it can be very dangerous because things are flying every which way. So I took videos from the Powell's house, where we observed these unique celebrations from a safe distance. If you look closely in the second video, you can sort of see the thick blanket of smoke that began to cover Kandern as a result of all the fireworks. Sorry for the poor quality of the videos, but hopefully this gives you a good idea of how Germans celebrate the new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment