Friday, January 22, 2010

I have a handy!

Since coming to Germany, I've been stranded, lost, or separated from people about half a dozen times. Because I don't speak German or have a cell phone, finding my way usually turned into a little adventure. While I'm all for excitement, I also like to know that I have a way of getting ahold of people in emergency situations.

Now I have to admit, I've really enjoyed the freedom that comes from not being attached to a cell phone and not being reachable 24/7. At the same time, though, there have been very frustrating moments that could have easily been resolved had I been in posession of the technological marvel known as the cell phone. After doing quite a bit of traveling over break and finding creative ways of getting in touch with my friends, my rides, and other people, I realized that a handy (what Germans call their cell phones) really is, well, handy!

So this week, I got a cell phone!

Jill and I went with our German-speaking friend Katrina and bought the second-to-cheapest cell phone available at the electronic store. We opted for the self-service cell phone service. This means you buy a phone at one store, then go to another store to buy a SIM card and minutes. You assemble the whole thing and set it up online yourself. A popular place to put minutes on your phone is Pennymarkt, one of our grocery stores. So, Jill and I now have what are referred to as "Penny Phones," the equivalent of the Go Phone. No contracts, just pay for minutes as you go.

While at the electronics store, we also looked for cases for our phones. The popular thing seemed to be handy socks, or handie socken. I spotted one with the German flag on it, so Katrina, Jill, and I got matching handie socken! My phone is the red one, and it really is that small. It's the same size as a credit card (but thicker)!!


No comments:

Post a Comment