Tuesday, May 1, 2012

coffee cupdate: the countdown begins


If we were to sit down for a cup of coffee I would have a lot to tell you.

By the way, now that it's May we would have switched to iced coffee! I would probably tell you of my excitement several months ago when I discovered that I could recreate Starbucks Mocha Coconut iced coffee using items from my local Germany grocery store! We might swap a few recipes - something I never thought I would ever do but now enjoy very much.

I would grin as I tell you that today is a day off from school because it's a holiday - May Day. We might use your smartphone (because we know I don't have one) to Google it and find out why May 1st is a holiday, or we might just shrug and be happy for a break. Or, we could read this informative post from my bloggy friend Chrissy who also lives in Germany and actually knows what she's talking about.

We would talk about our weekends and I would inevitably gush about how incredible and amazing it was to take part in The Great Hallelujah. If you're a regular around my blog you might have already seen my post about it, but I would probably tell you anyway how I've never quite experienced anything like it before in my life. I would shake my head in awe as I describe how all of the things that have been weighing so heavy on my heart and mind vanished and that all I could think about was being in the presence of God. I would confess that when the concert ended, I said, "OK Jesus, you can take me home now, because I don't want to do anything but THAT (the concert) for the rest of my life."

I would tell you that the season of goodbyes has arrived, and that it just adds another layer of stress to my life. because I hate goodbyes. I'd recall that just yesterday I cried while getting ready for school because I realized that I only have four more Mondays with my eighth graders before they move on to high school or leave BFA altogether. Because we've talked about the eighth graders before I wouldn't have to tell you how special it has been to watch my students grow from tiny timid sixth graders to confident, responsible eighth graders, and how proud I am of them and all their hard work just this year. I'd secretly confess that exactly one month from today, when I am grading their final exams, I will probably cry not because of how poorly they've done (because they will all ACE my exam!) but because then it will really be the end of our time together.

But enough about me. What would you have to say today?

No comments:

Post a Comment