Sunday, July 1, 2012

math lesson + geography challenge = 50 states of support

The other night I was crunching numbers in my head, trying to think of a good way to break down the $1,000 in monthly support that I still need to raise in order to return to BFA this August.

Now after having taught math for four years, I like to at least pretend that I'm good with numbers. So I came up with the following problem:

50 x 20 = 1,000

The Commutative Property of Multiplication states that two factors can be multiplied in any order and the answer will remain unchanged. In other words, 50 x 20 and 20 x 50 will result in equal products.

Translation: I can look for 50 people willing to give $20 each month or I can look for 20 people willing to give $50 each month. Either way, it will add up to $1,000 in support each month.

I thought about what would happen if I found 50 people willing to give $20 each month.

Fifty people would get to board the plane with me in August and fly to Germany.
Fifty people would get to know the students I've come to love like my own children.
Fifty people would get to laugh with me when I try to speak German with my neighbors.
Fifty people would get to rejoice with me over student victories and pray with me over struggles.
Fifty people would get to make a positive investment in tomorrow's world leaders.
Fifty people would get to take the Word of God to the nations.
Fifty people would get to change the world.

Because you see, I'm not just a science teacher. My responsibilities go way beyond teaching the scientific method and the electromagnetic spectrum. My life is also curriculum for these kids - they watch the way I react to things, the words I use, the attitudes I express, and the relationship I have with God. I am on display for everyone to see, whether I like it or not. Many times I have failed them in these areas, but there have also been opportunities to use my own personal life as a teaching moment for them, and in my opinion that's more useful and meaningful than learning the periodic table of the elements!

The thing is, this can not and will not happen without the support of people from around the world who believe in the eternal significance of this ministry, who understand the value of training children and teens into young men and women equipped to influence their world for Christ.

So back to the math lesson. Here's the deal, plain and simple: I'm looking for 50 new supporters, willing to commit to giving $20 a month for the next two years in order that I might continue serving the students at BFA.

I know, 50 seems like a huge number. You know what else? I think it would be awesome to have a supporter from every state in the USA. You read that right - one new monthly supporter from each state in America, from Alabama to Wyoming, and everything in between.

And before you ask, no, I do not know people in all 50 states. That's where YOU come in! So would you pray about getting involved? Here's what you can do:
  1. Commit to partnering with me in this ministry by giving $20 a month for the next two years.
  2. Tell your friends in obscure states like Rhode Island and Idaho about this need and encourage them to join my support team.
  3. Pray that God would bring forth people with obedient hearts willing to join me in this adventure.
Here is the map I will be using to keep track of the states that are represented. I will post an updated version of the map each Sunday until I return to Germany (scheduled departure August 6), by which time the map will hopefully be completely filled in!


To set up your monthly support, please visit the TeachBeyond website by clicking here.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment